Thursday, November 17, 2011

Dancing on my Grave

Okay so I've started reading reading a new book, called Dancing on My Grave by Gelsey Kirkland. Before I got too far into the bok, I decided to get a little background on the author so I could become more comfortable with this book. Gelsey was born in Pennsylvania and became an American ballerina. She joined the New York city ballet in 1968 at the age of fifteen. She went on to become soloist and principle in the ballet as well and eventually created leading roles in ballets throughout the 20th century. Most people think of Kirkland as most famous for her role as Clara in The Nutcracker. She stayed in the ballet until 1984.

Dancing on my Grave is a chronicle of Krikland's change from a baby ballerina into a dramatic artist. The books tells of her struggles with eating disorders and drug addictions as a ballerina.

The story begins with Kirkland giving the details of her ballet life. She became the "baby ballerina" of George Balanchine who was the co-founder of the New York City ballet. But, Kirkland falls out of Balanchine's spotlight in the 70's and had the desire to dance for Baryshnikov of the American Ballet Theatre. Kirkland tells how she became very popular dancing a the prima ballerina of the American Ballet Theatre. She became a perfectionist, striving to be the perfect ballerina.

No comments:

Post a Comment