Friday, November 11, 2011

currently

Pages this week: 150
Total pages this semester: 1657
Current Book: South of Broad by Pat Conroy

Sentences of the Week:

1. “Since the day I was born, I have been worried that heaven would never be half as beautiful as Charleston.”
                        Leo, South of Broad


2. "Behind every man is a woman rolling her eyes."
                           Jim Carrey

3. I am nothing special; just a common man with common thoughts, and I've led a common life. There are no monuments dedicated to me and my name will soon be forgotten. But in one respect I have succeeded as gloriously as anyone who's ever lived: I've loved another with all my heart and soul; and to me, this has always been enough.
                                       Noah, The Notebook


My quotes of the week for this week are really kinda spread out across the board. My first quote is from the book I am reading, South of Broad. I liked it because it was different, and shows a great comparison that not many people would make. Leo, the main character of the book, lives in Charleston, and he sees it as the most beautiful place in the world. Everything about the city is perfect to him, and the rest of the population in the city. The book is actually quite religious based, so its not surprising that the author decided to compare Charleston to Heaven. Leo, unlike a lot of his family and friends in Charleston, is not very religious. But, after his brother died, he decided to start thinking more about the after life. In this quote, he's thinking about how his brother is living now, hopefully in Heaven. As Leo is looking out on the gorgeous sunset he realizes that nothing else in the world could be as beautiful as Charleston. But, as I say there, the looks of Charleston. Behind the looks of Charleston and the sunset, there are hidden secrets, unlike Heaven. The difference between Charleston and Heaven is that although they are both beautiful, indescribable places, Heaven is a place of security and there are no secrets. In Charleston, there are mysteries of all the population's lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment